- Mattress Types
- Brands We Carry
- Mattress Brands
- Mattress Sizes
- Sleep Accessories
- Jordan's Difference
- Bed in a Box
- Learn About Mattress Types
- Understanding Sleep
- Delivery & Resources
- Contact Sleep Lab
- Mattress Recycling
Here are 5 ways to improve your sleep environment ... and your overall health.
YOUR BEDROOM SHOULD encourage a restful sleep. That means you need to think about these five elements:
- Light—One of the most powerful time cues in nature is light. Bright light tends to increase alertness. Conversely, a dark room is more conducive to sleep. Use curtains or shades to prevent light from interrupting sleep.
- Noise—Irregular or sudden loud noises from inside or outside the home can disrupt sleep or cause alertness. Steady, low sounds, like those from a fan, can be soothing and often help block out distracting noises.
- Temperature—The ideal bedroom temperature is 60° F to 65° F. A room that is too warm or too cold can disrupt sleep.
- Proper Sleep Surface—It is crucial that your mattress set provides you with both proper support and adequate pressure relief. If you sleep with a partner, your mattress should allow each of you enough space to move comfortably without disturbing one another. From an alignment perspective, pillows are as important as your mattress. If your pillows do not align you properly, they could contribute to pain in the neck or back.
- Allergen & Bed Bug Protection—Reduce your exposure to the irritants that cause you suffering. These things include dust mites, mold, mildew, etc.
Improve Your Environment
Even if your allergy symptoms are minimal, Jordan's Sleep Lab encourages you to create the healthiest sleep environment possible. Here’s how:
- Encase Your Bedding—Enveloping your sleep surface and pillows in protective encasements prevents dust mites or bed bugs from finding a home in your bedding. Visit Sleep Lab’s "Accessories" pages for options.
- Wash Sheets and Pillowcases Regularly—Wash your sheets and pillowcases at least once a week in hot water (140° F or hotter).
- Avoid Steam Cleaning—Steam cleaning your bedding only increases humidity and moisture levels, making a more conducive environment for allergens.